1 ingredient found
- SegmentPersonal care
- INCI nameSqualane
- Performance claimsSkin conditioning, Hair conditioning, Smoothing
- Sustainability claimsNatural
- FunctionRheology modifiers, Emollients
- ApplicationsOils, Conditioners, Cosmetics, Moisturisers, Waters
Ingredient DescriptionSqualane is colourless, transparent and odourless. Squalene can come from olive oil or from shark livers. For many years, it was always shark livers and it is still possible to buy that today. However, whatever the source, it is not something we would recommend as Squalene (note the spelling) is highly unstable and will oxidise quickly. Squalene is naturally occurring in sebum which is skin's own natural moisturiser. When the pores become blocked with sebum, it oxidises and goes black where it is in contact with the air - which is exactly what a blackhead is. Therefore, Squalene is not something that we recommend using on your skin. Squalane (note the different spelling) is Squalene that has been modified to be stable so that it does not oxidise. In this form, it is excellent for the skin. However, its original source can still be from either olive oil or shark liver. Aromantic only stock Squalane that has been modified from Olive Oil. Squalene naturally occurs in the sebum of the skin at a level of between 10% to 14% Read more here. According to the Cosmetic Ingredient Database (CosIng), the functions of Squalane are:Emollient, Hair Conditioning, Refatting, Skin Conditioning. The Squalene that is found in the livers of sharks keeps the oils in the liver in a liquid state down to a temperature of -38°C which is quite common as they are found in deep ocean waters. There are still countries in the world that use shark sourced Squalene.
- Company nameAromantic
- Legal nameAromantic, Ltd.
- HeadquartersForres, Scotland, United Kingdom
- Number of employees11-50
- DescriptionAromantic is recognized as one of the UK's leaders in providing organic beauty and natural skincare. It is a second-generation family-run business that is passionate in its belief that nothing is better for the skin than natural beauty products. It aims to offer a wide range of ethical and high-quality products and services. Aromantic offers everything its customers need in making their own creams, lotions, balms, toiletries, spa products and specialized skincare products - including the knowledge they need to get in formulating.
- WebsiteCompany website