1 ingredient found
Cedarwood Virginia Essential oil United States
- SegmentPersonal care
- INCI nameJuniperus virginiana oil
- OriginJuniperus Virginiana
Ingredient DescriptionEastern Red cedar is a large, slow-growing evergreen that reaches 30 meters in height. It is native to the eastern side of the Rocky Mountains in North America. A member of the Cupressaceae family, it shares botanical attributes with juniper (Juniperus genus) and its cousin, the cypress, for the evergreen foliage is composed of overlapping scales and needles. The fruits are globular, purple-brown berries reminiscent of juniper berries. The red-brown heartwood earned the tree the name “Red cedar.” Eastern Red cedar essential oil is distilled from sawdust and shavings from American wood mills. The sweet, woody fragrance of the essential oil is characteristic of the “cedar” notes found with Atlas cedar, but enhanced by a pencil facet. Before 1917, red cedarwood was used mainly for making pencils. This industry used only old wild trees with wide, straight trunks free of knots, with abundant heartwood. The wood residues were recovered for distilling essential oil. However, in 1910, the natural resource began to see a decline, triggering an equivalent drop in pencil production. Beginning in 1917, distillers turned to the cabinetmaking industry to source sawdust and Eastern Red cedar chips. The trees used are younger, with more sapwood, but the quality of the oil produced remains the same. Today, Eastern Red cedar essential oil is sourced exclusively from this industry.
- Company nameAlbert Vieille
- Legal nameAlbert Vieille, SAS.
- HeadquartersVallauris, France
- Number of employees30
- DescriptionBased on more than a century of experience in Vallauris, France, Albert Vieille SAS has crafted exceptional savoir-faire in the realm of perfume plants. Albert Vieille SAS is a venerable company specializing in 100% pure and natural aromatic raw materials for professionals working in the perfumery, cosmetics, food and aromatherapy markets. We have more than 200 aromatic products – essential oil, floral water, scented water, absolute, concrete, resinoid, gum resin – for use in formulating scented and flavored creations.
- WebsiteCompany website